Olympus P-400 Color Printer
Affordable, stand-alone, photo-quality
by Stephen Jones (June 25, 2000)
Just when we were starting to believe ink jet printers were achieving a pinnacle of personal printing art, Olympus has come along to remind us that ink jets aren't the only (or best) game in town.
The newly introduced sub-$1000 P-400 puts dye-sublimation printing in the reach of serious amateur digital photographers or pros that need print-service quality without print-service expense. This printer brings the continuous tonal range and 16.7 million colors of high-end printers down to earth at a tenth of the cost of previous dye-sublimation printers.
What's more, the P-400 offers stand-alone print processing features that might inspire you to bring it out of the photo-lab and into the field. For instance, it can print digital images directly from SmartMedia or PC Cards without the need for a PC. The included LCD panel controls then allow a wedding or other event photographer to specify trimming, framing, and background images. Several available print modes let the printer produce everything from proof sheets to full-sized, photographic-quality prints on the spot.
On the road or in the office, Olympus' P-400 could make satisfying demanding users (and their discriminating customers) an affordable proposition. Even better, The P-400 extends the instant gratification of digital photography to include uncompromising, photographic quality.
- full size, postcard (2 or 4 per page)
- photo-album (1 to 6 images w/ with background)
- index (45 - 260 images per page)
- Colors: 16.7 million (8 bit/color)
- Print Size: 8.25" x 11.7"
- Photo Size: 8" x 10"
- Speed: 90-second per page
- Interface: parallel port and USB
- Media: SmartMedia, PC card
- LCD Panel
- Dimensions: 30" high x 17" wide x 17" deep
- Effects: black & white and sepia filters
- Functions: trimming, framing, background image, stamp
- Print up to 50 copies at a time
- Cost per print: $1.90 (50 sheets per cartridge)
- List price: $999
© 2006 Stephen Jones All rights reserved.